The Korean Ministry of Education recently set guidelines stating that all international students are required to either submit their proof of insurance or purchase insurance in Korea. Please refer to the following information and submit your proof of health insurance every semester two weeks before your course registration begins. Otherwise, access to the school portal system will be restricted. Please apply for insurance as soon as possible for your health and welfare and to avoid any disadvantages in course registration.
(Only one of the following three listed insurances is required to submit.)
1. National Health Insurance: International students staying in Korea for a long-term will receive the same benefits as Korean citizens; to apply for national health insurance service, please visit http://nhic.or.kr.
2. School Group Insurance (Recommended): Students will pay a discounted rate to the insurance company contracted with the university; please see the details belows.
3. Private Insurance: If you have purchased private insurance from your home country, you must make sure whether it is applicable in Korea. Comfirmation is granted once you submit documented evidence stating the terms of policy, insurance period, and personal information.
* Students must send their health insurance certificate to GIT office (firstname.lastname@example.org). When sending an e-mail, please indicate your student ID number.
About School Group Insurance
1. Complete your insurance application online at: http://n.foreignerdb.com/yonsei and click "GO→" button. Confirm the rate and make payment online to the virtual account. After you have received the insurance certificate online, please submit it to GIT office.
2. Rate: Male 102,000 KRW / Female 118,000 KRW
3. Duration: 1 year
4. Inquiries regarding application and claims:
Meritz Insurance (Joongang Ins Korea)
Kakao Talk ID: INSCLAIM (English service available)
Top 5 FAQ
Q. Can I obtain insurance before I come to Korea?
A. Yes. When you enter the alien registration number at the end, for males please submit the number: 5000000 and for females, the number is: 6000000. Once you receive the alien registration card, you can update your information. If you were born after 2000, then your number will be set as 7000000 for males and 8000000 for females.
Q. When I registered for school group insurance, I used my application number instead of my student number. Do I need to change this?
A. No, you do not need to change it.
Q. I will graduate this August while the insurance period is from next year's February. Can I cancel the insurance half-way?
A. If you want to cancel the insurance before the period expires, please fill out the cancellation application form and send it to email@example.com. You can find the application form at: [GIT Homepage > News and Event > Downloads].
Q. I heard that the maximum coverage period for international students is one year. Does this mean I need to re-apply for one for the next years?
A. You have confirmed before each semester registration period and proceed with the submission process.
Q. I recently went to the hospital. How do I complete the claim process?
A. If you are with school group insurance, you will be charged directly and can claim the insurance company by sending the required documents. Self-payment will differ depending on the size of the hospital and the illness you were treated for. Please refer to the website of the insurance company regarding any inquiries.
The counseling center offers the safe environment for students to strive for personal growth and solve personal difficulties by helping them to gain better understanding of their inner selves. The center provides counseling on personal issues of concern as well as various psychological tests. http://counsel.yonsei.ac.kr
Wisdom Hall A (2F), International Campus (Songdo)